– The fight against poverty in Burundi through support for the development of income-generating activities and micro enterprises;
– Improvement of the socio-economic environment through the establishment of social infrastructures: education, health, potable drinking water, sanitation, production support infrastructure such as warehouses and produce conservation sheds for agricultural, breeding and fishing products, irrigation and drainage systems; infrastructure that provides improved access such as runways, bridges, etc., and devices for the protection of the environment (erosion control, reforestation);
– Training people in the spirit of entrepreneurship, empowerment, self-development and micro-project management; and
– Conducting surveys and studies to monitor the population’s socio-economic conditions.
– A participatory approach based on community participation; and
– In addition to methods and tools using a participatory approach, TWITEZIMBERE ASBL makes the community structure a basis for its interventions.
Rohero I, Avenue de la Jonction No. 9
Tel: +257 22 22 18 04
Fax: +257 22 22 84 51
Dr. Denis Rugege is the owner and Managing Director of Green Economy Advisory and Research (GEAR Ltd); a consultancy firm registered in the Republic of Rwanda. He is a lead expert on Green Economy including sustainable economic growth and social development through climate knowledge management for promoting resource efficient, low-carbon and climate resilient economic activities and livelihoods. Dr. Rugege has extensive experience in the technical capacity strengthening support in environmental assessments and the elaboration of green growth strategic frameworks into implementation programmes at national and local levels.
He spent the last six years as a technical advisor for Rwanda Environmental Management Authority (REMA) and its oversight ministry, the Ministry of Natural Resources (MINIRENA); where he played a key role in capacity strengthening including the preparation of the State of Environmental Reports for 2011, 2013 and 2015. He prepared Rwanda’s guidelines for Strategic Environmental Assessment and for Mainstreaming Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production. He led the preparation of the 4-year (2014-2018) Government of Rwanda – UN Rwanda Flagship Programme on the Green Economy that is under implementation and advised on several successful resource mobilization initiatives.
Previously, he held a permanent senior academic appointment at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, where he taught post – graduate courses in land and environmental management, GIS, Remote Sensing and supervised Masters and PhD research. He has carried out academic research and published in peer-reviewed international journals in GIS and Remote Sensing applications in land, environment, natural resources management and climate resilience. He holds a Bachelor of Science from the National University of Lesotho, a Master of Science awarded by the International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation and a PhD by Wageningen University, the Netherlands.