Climate change is the mean state of the climate or in its variability, persisting for an extended period (typically decades or longer). Climate change is manifested in the changes in the traditional patterns of every day weather and climate including extreme events such as high/low temperatures, droughts, hailstorms, floods, and the like. The Paris Agreement, requires all countries- (developed and developing countries) to make significant commitments to address climate change; and one of the reasons GEECS was created is to make the Paris Agreement a reality by ensuring that countries and other stakeholders have the knowledge, tools and skills needed to quickly, effectively and efficiently achieve this noble goal.
GEECS’s wide range of services include, but are not limited to:
- Support countries and other stakeholders in formulating clear and transparent mitigation commitments that reflect their highest possible ambition in light of their national circumstances;
- Assist developing countries to undertake planning processes for adaptation at the national level and report on their progress, share their experiences and lessons learned;
- Collaborate with the Government of Canada in its efforts to finance transformational mitigation initiatives, climate-smart agriculture, and local capacity building and climate resilience abroad;
- Collaborate with the Government of Canada in its anticipated plan to share expertise, best practices and lessons learned in climate action with officials from other countries, together with provinces and territories, Indigenous peoples, the business.community and civil society representatives;
- Collaborate with the Government of Canada in its strong support of the long-term goals established under the Paris Agreement to work collaboratively with all countries to effectively implement the Agreement, to support initiatives that help Parties start implementing their commitments as early as feasible, and to continue to advocate for climate action in complementary international fora and engage with sub-national governments and non-state actors to develop ambitious climate solutions;
- Provide our clients with expert and specialty advices , all tailored to research, education, awareness raising and advocacy on climate change; and
- Assist our clients, especially those in developing countries to prioritize, develop and implement climate change programs in such a way as to achieve sustainable development and alleviate poverty, with an emphasis on the most vulnerable groups, especially women and children Ensure policy harmonization on climate change and desertification control and various positions on key issues under negotiations in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD).